Child and Adult Care Food Program

The Child and Adult Care Food Program (CACFP) is part of the National School Lunch Act, administered through the US Department of Agriculture.  CACFP guidelines ensure that food served to children in child care provides for optimum growth and development of children.  Child care providers are reimbursed monthly for meals that meet the USDA standards.

Who can participate?

CACFP is open to registered child care homes, licensed child care homes, and approved relative care providers

What meals can be claimed?

Providers may claim up to two meals and one snack per child per day. Breakfast, lunch, dinner, and snacks are eligible for reimbursement.

What is required to participate in the program?

  • You must be licensed or registered.
  • Meals and snacks must meet USDA guidelines.
  • Maintain daily counts of menus, attendance and meals.  You can record this information on-line.
  • Menu information must be submitted by the 4th of each month.
  • You must attend two hours of nutrition training a year.

What are the meal guidelines?

  • Breakfast: Milk, one serving of fruit or vegetable, grain or bread
  • Lunch or Dinner: Milk, two servings of fruits and/or vegetables, meat or meat alternative, grain or bread
  • Snacks: Choose two of the four meal components:  milk, fruit or vegetable, meat or meat alternative, grain or bread

Sample Menu:

Breakfast: 1% milk, banana, whole wheat toast
Lunch or Dinner: 1% milk, carrots, apple, chicken, rice
Snack: Cheese stick, fruit cup

Who is eligible for CACFP meals?

Children 12 and under may participate. Infants, both those on formula and those who are breastfed, are eligible to participate.

Can I claim meals for my own children?

Under certain guidelines, you may claim meals and snacks served to your own children when in child care. Winston Prouty Center staff will help determine if you are eligible to claim your own children

How do I get reimbursed?

Menu information is submitted to the Winston Prouty office by the 4th of each month. Once the information has been processed, reimbursement funds are direct deposited.

What does a program visit look like?

Your program will be visited three times a year to review your paperwork, answer your questions, bring nutrition education materials, recipes and other resources for you.

What does Winston Prouty Center do for you?

  • We help you get started.
  • We provide you with in-home training, focusing on your particular situation.
  • We show you how to complete the required paperwork and help you get started on line.
  • We provide several workshops each year, topics ranging from taxes to snacks, from menu planning to food allergies.

How do I get more information or enroll?

Contact Caitlin Pelletier, Food Program Specialist, (802) 257-7852 ext 306 or

Civil Rights Nondiscrimination Statement

In accordance with Federal civil rights law and U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) civil rights regulations and policies, the USDA, its Agencies, offices, and employees, and institutions participating in or administering USDA programs are prohibited from discriminating based on race, color, national origin, sex, disability, age, or reprisal or retaliation for prior civil rights activity in any program or activity conducted or funded by USDA.   

Persons with disabilities who require alternative means of communication for program information (e.g., Braille, large print, audiotape, American Sign Language, etc.), should contact the Agency (State or local) where they applied for benefits.  Individuals who are deaf, hard of hearing or have speech disabilities may contact USDA through the Federal Relay Service at (800) 877-8339.  Additionally, program information may be made available in languages other than English. 

To file a program complaint of discrimination, complete the USDA Program Discrimination Complaint Form, (AD-3027) found online at: How to File a Complaint, and at any USDA office, or write a letter addressed to USDA and provide in the letter all of the information requested in the form. To request a copy of the complaint form, call (866) 632-9992. Submit your completed form or letter to USDA by:  

  1. mail: U.S. Department of Agriculture Office of the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights 1400 Independence Avenue, SW Washington, D.C. 20250-9410.  
  2. fax: (202) 690-7442; or  
  3. email:

This institution is an equal opportunity provider.