In July 2013, the state of Vermont implemented a two-year pilot program in three areas – Brattleboro, Burlington, and Rutland – to help homeless families with young children ages 0 to 6 find and maintain housing. This successful program has since been extended. The Family Supportive Housing (FSH) program provides services and supports to families to help them identify what they need, make goals towards getting those needs met, and access resources towards achieving those goals with the outcome of stable housing as a primary objective. The Winston Prouty Center has two case managers for FSH and works closely with community partners such as Brattleboro Housing Authority, Windham and Windsor Housing Trust, Groundworks Collaborative, and the Brattleboro Area Housing Review Team to implement this program.
- Applicants must be homeless families with minor children staying in a local emergency shelter, domestic violence shelter or state-funded motel.*
- The parent(s) must want to participate in the program, agree to engage with services offered, set goals, and actively work towards them.
* Up to one quarter (1/4) of families served through a local Family Supportive Housing initiative need not meet the definition of literal homeless if they meet all of the following conditions:
- The family is at or below 30% of area median income with minor children in the household.
- The family will be homeless within 14 days absent supports that can reasonable be provided through the FSH initiative.
- The family is likely to be able to retain affordable or subsidized housing through the Family Supportive Housing initiative.
- The family has had at least one documentable episode of homelessness in the past 24 months.
- All partners (services, housing, shelter) agree to this model and reflect it in the MOU.
- Families that have had multiple shelter stays or multiple state-funded motel stays.
- Families that are open for services (have an active case) with DCF Family Services.
- Families with a child under the age of six.
For more information please contact Emily Clever, Housing Resource Coordinator:
Phone: 802-257-2101 x25