Children living in food insecure homes are at a greater risk for:
- Poor quality diets and nutrient deficiencies
- Chronic and acute illness
- Cognitive, physical and emotional delays
- Increases in aggression, depression and hyperactive behavior
- Lack of school readiness
- Poor school performances and academic achievement
FEDERAL NUTRITION PROGRAMS IMPROVE HEALTH AND WELLBEING:
- Participation in 3SquaresVT (food stamps) reduces food insecurity and improves children’s diet quality
- Participation in 3SquaresVT and /or WIC decreases risk of poor health, anemia and malnutrition
- 3SquaresVT and WIC participation is associated with decreases in child abuse
- 3SquaresVT and school meals reduces obesity in school age children
- Children in families receiving 3SquaresVT benefits have higher achievement in math and reading
- Children who participate in school meals have improved diets and lower risk for diabetes
SEVCA’s Family Services staff is available to assist households to apply for 3SquaresVT. To schedule an appointment, please call 1-800-464-9951 and you will be directed to a Family Service staff person in your area. You may also visit www.vermontfoodhelp.com for more information or you can apply online.
1 in 8 Vermonters get 3SquaresVT, have you applied yet?