Rocking Horse is a free all-women group for women impacted by substance use (their own, or their partner’s or family’s). It’s a chance to get together with other women who understand similar challenges, and to offer support and strategies to overcoming the challenges of substance use and raising a family.
The group helps women understand the risks associated with substance use behavior and introduces strategies to overcome the challenges of substance use and raising a family. The program is designed to provide knowledge, build skills, and offer a safe and caring climate for pregnant and parenting women. Child care and meals are provided during program sessions.
The program focuses on four major areas of substance use:
- Substance use and women’s health
- Substance use and relationships
- Effects of substance use in the family
- Influence of substance use on life troubles and management
Rocking Horse participants have reported positive changes from the program, including:
- Decreased binge drinking
- Increased ability to cope with stress
- Increased sense of social support
- Success in reducing relationship challenges
Note: This is a Support Group, not a treatment group nor a parenting group.
The group meets virtually from 11:00 – 1:00pm for 10 sessions starting April 20th.