World Breastfeeding Week
In honor of World Breastfeeding Week, the Brattleboro community and local businesses will be celebrating breastfeeding during the first week of August. This year the theme is “Sustaining Breastfeeding Together.”
The Vermont Department of Health encourages breastfeeding, and supports nursing mothers through educational programs and initiatives. The department’s Local Health Office in Brattleboro works with new moms one-on-one in its WIC clinics and through breastfeeding classes, and assists local businesses become Breastfeeding Friendly Employers. Other community supports for breastfeeding include nurses and lactation consultants at Brattleboro Memorial Hospital’s Birthing Center, and home visiting Maternal Child Health nurses through Children’s Integrated Services and the Nurse Family Partnership.
Here’s what Brattleboro has planned for World Breastfeeding Week:
- Gallery Walk Cabana – Located on Main St. in front of Vermont Artisan Designs during Gallery Walk (8/4): Demonstrates the space and materials needed for a breastfeeding/pumping area at work. This is part of Vermont’s Breastfeeding Friendly Employer’s project.
- Gallery Walk Photography and Slide Show – Located at the Latchis Gallery on Main St. during Gallery Walk (8/4): Local photographer Zachary Stephens, together with his wife Michelle will be showing select images from their photographic project, Nursing Is Normal. The images show breastfeeding mothers and their children in various local settings. Information about local breastfeeding resources will also be available.
- The Big Latch On – On Saturday, August 5 from 9:00-11:00 a.m. at Living Memorial Park Playground’s Gazebo, Nursing mothers and their infants will gather to join breastfeeders worldwide in support of breastfeeding. There will be a count taken at 10:30 a.m. In 2016, there were 17,992 “latched on” children during this event worldwide! More at https://biglatchon.org/
- Displays – The community celebrates breastfeeding with a number of displays in locations throughout Brattleboro!
- Main St. Banner – Check out our banner celebrating World Breastfeeding Week as you travel down Main Street.
- People’s United Bank – Check out this window display on Main St. thanking Brattleboro’s Breastfeeding Friendly Employers.
- Brattleboro Memorial Hospital, the Vermont State Office Building and Brooks Memorial Library will each uniquely celebrate Brattleboro’s breastfeeding families
- Life-sized Images of Breastfeeding Moms – Can you find them all? Five life-sized cardboard images of women breastfeeding their children will be located around Brattleboro for the entire month.
- Social Media – The Brattleboro Local Health Office Facebook page will be sharing positive photos of breastfeeding women. These images are designed to show that breastfeeding is a normal and healthy part of the lives of women and infants. Look for these, like, comment and share! Follow World Breastfeeding Week on Twitter: #WBW2017.
For information about breastfeeding and why it’s best for babies and moms, visit healthvermont.gov/breastfeeding.
For health news, alerts and information, visit healthvermont.gov
Follow us on Twitter